Thursday, July 22, 2010

I need help

And boy is that a broad statement. But what I mean is that when I really need help, Jack is there with his large head-fulla-brains to pitch in for me. It's happened so many times that I hardly recognize it anymore, and pretty much take it for granted. I now ask him questions that no 5-year-old should know the answer to, but he is usually, no always, right on target.

me: Hey Jack, did we pay for school this month?
Jack: No, you need to write a check.
me: (scrambling for my purse) Thanks!

Jack: Uh, Mom? I don't think this is the way to the pool.
me: (looking around me as we drive) Ugh, I took the first right instead of the second right. Thanks Jack! That saved us a bunch of time.

me: Jack, did we do your inhaler this morning? I forget...
Jack: Yessss, we did it. You're always forgetting that.
me: I know...

And so on and so forth. It's not always about me forgetting things, though it may seem like that to the untrained eye.

This little tidbit must be shared because it was discussed on the way home from school. Jack asked me what a certain word meant. It was either "dispenser" or I don't know, something like that. I told him what it meant, and then said something about "the dispenser". Maybe I used it in a sentence.

Jack: You know when you use "the" in front of a word, it means that you don't know what it is. But if you use "a" in front of it, it means you know what it is.
me: Huh?
Jack; "THE" dispenser...get it? You're talking about it but I don't know what it is. But if you say "A" dispenser, you think I already know what that means.
me: Hm. Who's telling you this?
Jack: No one. It just appears in my head.

Not sure what to make of that, but if his track record is any indication, he's on to some new language breakthrough that hasn't been discovered yet. It really doesn't feel like I'm talking to a 5-year-old sometimes. I promptly got a headache that hasn't gone away yet. :(

No comments:

Post a Comment