Monday, June 7, 2010

Figure of Speech

I realized today that Jack is really picking up on "figures of speech" and trying to use them appropriately in his conversations. Some of them are quite funny, and as always, I'm astounded at his use of language at such a young age.

Jack: Mom, I just heard that song say "head over heels". That's sooo funny! I mean who could put their head over their heels??
me: You know, that's just a funny way of saying that you're in love or have a crush on someone.
Jack: Huh? Why does your head have to go over your heels?
me: (demonstrating by rotating my hands in front of me) Nooo, it means that your doing flips for someone, because you really like them. Like wooooaaaahhhhhh!
Jack: Well, I'll tell you who my head will not go over my heels for...(leans in for a whisper, and names a boy in his class)
me: You would really say that when you like a girl.
Jack: Yeah, well that's never gonna happen.
(Sigh...how quickly he's forgotten his crushes: Madison, Elena (both girls in his K class), Marcia (our former cleaning girl), Mabeth (the teacher in his 2-year-old preschool class), Natalie Portman...yes he loved her in "Mr. Magorium's Wonder Emporium".)

No comments:

Post a Comment