Sunday, September 19, 2010

To beach or not to beach...?


We decided to beach. Again. We had gone to a lake yesterday (which reminded us all of the kettle ponds on the Cape), and we decided to keep the theme going by visiting the ocean. Okay, it was Long Island Sound, but still...

For the past 4 years, we've visited Cape Cod during the second week in September. Can you say sublime? We've had only stunning weather for 4 years in a row. This year, however, Jack started something we like to call "real school" in the public school system. Waahhhh, no vacations until Thanksgiving? WTF! Therefore I canceled our house rental for September, and instead we went in... when was it... Oh yeah...first week of June! I've already forgotten about that trip it was so long ago. We miss the Cape so much that we booked a house in October for a long weekend, to coincide with the Wellfleet Oysterfest. Woohoo! (okay, sorry but I also watched my first Simpson episode in like 3 years). Woohoo! It'll probably rain.

Today on the way to the beach, with sand toys, towels, snacks and sunblock in tow, Jack surprised me yet again.

Jack: I like your mom.
me: You like my mom??
Jack: Yeah.
me: Why are you saying that?
Jack: Owno...(his "I don't know" pronunciation)
me: What do you like?
Jack: She's nice
me: And why did you just think of that all of a sudden?
Jack: Owno...
me: How come you called her "your mom" and not "Grandma"
Jack: Because that's what you call her of course!

I wonder what goes through that little brain. My mother came to the Cape with us once, so maybe us going to the beach reminded him of her? Owno...

We had a great morning and got all nice and sandy, and gathered some fun shells, beach glass and a couple of crab claws. One pesky seagull went through our stuff every time we stepped away from the towels to walk down by the water. We would come back to find our bag of shells strewn all over the sand. What a dope. No food in there.

Jack told me that he loved me and that he had fun. That was worth everything in the world to me. We built a nice memory today. In Jack's school journal he had to write about "What makes me proud", and he put "Being with my Mom". Awwwww... :)

No comments:

Post a Comment