Monday, September 27, 2010

I've got enough going on here thanks!


Tonight was "eat whatever is left in the fridge before it goes bad" night. Dennis is away again and Jack and I don't eat as much as people think we do! I've been making regular meals, sort of forgetting that about half of what I make will either need to get tossed or frozen. Let's just say my freezer is full.

Tonight this is what I made. For realz. 2 hamburgers on the grill. One for Jack and one for me, which I knew I wasn't going to eat. Half a box of spinach fettucini. Cooked perfectly might I add. Reheated tortellini's and corn souffle for Jack. Reheated turkey meat sauce for me, to go with the fettucini. Bleh, what a big mess. Anyway Jack was happy. He liked everything.

me: Jack, do you want to try my pasta with sauce? It's good.
Jack: Um... (he looks down at his half of a cheeseburger, tortellini and corn souffle.) Nahhh, I've got enough going on over here.
me: (watching him dig in) Well, it's not exactly what I had planned, but at least you're liking your dinner!
Jack: Owwww, my tummy hurts! I need to stop eating.
me: That's ok. You can stop.
Jack: It's that corn souffle. I like it so much that I can't stop eating it, but it hurts!
me: Maybe it was something else you ate?
Jack: No it was definitely that. It always hurts.
me: (surprised) But you love it!
Jack: I know! I told you that! Next time make it a lot less corn and more souffle.
me: Okay. I'll try.
Jack: I'm gonna go lay on the couch for a while. Maybe on my stomach.
me: And that's why I don't food blog.
Jack: Yeah, that would be funny!
me: Sigh

But guess what!? I'm going to be brave and give you the corn souffle recipe. Not so you'll get sick. Though I am the person that would say "Oh this is disgusting! You have to try it!" I actually like the corn souffle recipe that I have. It's very souffle-y and custardy and yummy. More solid than custard. But definitely not bread like.

So here, try it out and let me know how it turns out. I have no pictures to share with you. Again, because this is not a food blog. Look away food bloggers, look away!!!

Ma'am please step AWAY from the cookbook. Now MOVE!


Corn Souffle Ingredients:
(not in any particular order, and certainly not in the order that you will use them):
1 bag frozen corn (regular bag sized) thawed under running cold water
1 stick butter (yum)
1/3 cup sugar
5 Tablespoons flour
1 Tablespoon baking powder
10 oz. light cream
pinch of salt
5 eggs (Pre-whisk in a bowl. As if you would whisk them on a plate.)

Directions:
1. Melt butter in sauce pan (medium heat) that will ultimately be big enough to hold all the ingredients from above
2. Stir in sugar until blended
3. Stir in flour
4. Remove from heat
5. Slowly pour in the cream, whisking to make sure it's all nice and blendy
6. Oh, preheat the damn oven to 350! but do that first heh heh.
7. And you might as well grease an 8 x 8 baking dish. Glass kind.
8. If the mixture is hot, which it shouldn't be unless you've effed up the cream part, then I would temper the eggs a bit before you add them. Like, put a little of the melty cream stuff into the egg bowl and whisk that to warm it up.
9. Dump in eggs and whisk all together.
10. Add pinch of salt and baking powder. Blend in.
11. Add corn. Stir until all mixed and dump into the baking dish.
12. Bake at 350 for about 45 minutes. Top should be golden brown and look like corn bread. Yet, it is NOT corn bread. Let cool a bit before you go nuts on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment